The award of an Honorary Fellowship is one of the most prestigious awards that the Institute can bestow. 'Honorary Fellows; The grant of Honorary Fellowship shall be conferred on such persons of eminence or distinction who are not members as the Council shall in their absolute discretion think fit'. The induction of a steady stream of new Honorary Fellows (one per year) would be a useful ‘profile raiser’ for the Institute.
The Institute’s Council elects annually as an Honorary Fellow individuals that come under the following categories:
- Local Executive who has made a significant contribution to the Cyprus Business world
- Foreign Executive who has made a significant contribution to the Cyprus Business world
- CIM alumnus who has excelled professionally
In making recommendations for Honorary Fellowship, the Institute’s Council will take account of any restrictions imposed by the Honorary Award Regulations, potential conflicts of interest or reputational issues. Please note that current staff of the Institute and members of the Institute’s Council are not eligible for Honorary Fellowship, until they retire.
Who can nominate Honorary Fellows?
Any member of the Institute’s Council can make a nomination. All nominations are considered and screened in confidence by the ‘Honorary Fellows Committee’ and those nominated should not be made aware by their nominee that they have been put forward for an award.
The ‘Honorary Fellows Committee’ composes of:
- CIM Director-General
- CIM Deputy-Director
- Institute Council’s President
- Institute Council’s oldest member
How and When to Nominate
Nominations are made by the end of October except if the Institute’s Council deems otherwise.
Who makes decisions on Honorary Fellowships?
Nominations for Honorary Fellowships are put forward to the Institute’s Council by the ‘Honorary Fellows Committee’. The HF Committee’s recommendations are laid before the Institute’s Council for concurrence, and a final decision is taken by a majority vote. Student Representatives to the Institute’s Council have no voting right. Successful candidates are invited to receive their awards at the annual CIM Summit. A maximum of four new Honorary Fellows may be elected each year.
Honorary Fellows Duties
An Honorary Fellow should be prepared to contribute to the work of CIM – because of status accruing to the Institution from association with their name, or by practical help. In particular:
- Maintain the good standing of the Institute and provide support to its activities
- Attend the annual Honorary Fellows dinner
- Attend the Institute’s events
Who are the Honorary Fellows?
The Honorary Fellows currently are:
- Glafkos Mavros, Former General Manager, Hellenic Bank
- Petros Petrou, General Manager, Alpha TV
- George Liveras, Director, Liveras & Associates
- Thomas Kazakos, Director-General, Cyprus Shipping Chamber
- Phidias Pilides, President, ΚΕΒΕ
- Yiannis Telonis, Former Director of Strategy, Hellenic Bank
- Philokypros Andreou, CEO, Phil. Andreou Group
- Renos Onoufriou, Marketing Manager, Phileleftheros Group
- Alkis Hadjikyriacos, CEO, Frou-Frou
- George Georgiou, Commercial Manager, Christodoulides Bros
- Evros Papadopoulos, Global Marketing Manager, Alexandrion Group
- Antonis Karpasitis, CEO, MetLife
- Antonis Paschalides, Former Minister of Commerce
- Christos Michaelides, President, ΟΕΒ
- Marios Loucaides, Managing Director, CTC
- Stelios Athanasiou, General Manager, IDEEA (Scandia)
- Aristos Anastasiou, Sales Manager, Fereos Fourpoint Distribution
- Emily Yiolitis, Partner, Harneys LLP
- Dmitry Morozof, CEO, CYPV Energy
- George Nicolaides, CEO, GanDirect Insurance
- Phivos Vaki, General Manager, Columbia ShipManagement
- Christos Papaellinas, CEO, C.A.Papaellinas Group
- Natalia Kardash, CEO, Vestnik Kypra Group
- Achilleas Demetriou, CEO, Capital TV/Radio
- Lysandros Ioannou, CEO, PHC Group
- Despina Panayiotou Theodosiou, Managing Director, Tototheo Group
- Yiannos Kremmos, General Manager, Blue Island PLC
- Themis Papadopoulos, CEO, Interorient Group
- John Patrick Hourican, CEO, Bank of Cyprus